Friday, December 3, 2010

I - Ice Hockey

Ice Hockey: thing, sport

I started playing Ice Hockey when I was 4 or 5. I was never very good at it, despite it being in my genes, with both my Dad and my maternal Grandpa playing at the collegiate level. I remember learning to skate pushing a chair, and I remember fondly being out on the ice and going to weekend tournaments (whether I liked it back then, I don't remember). The first team I played for was Wheeler. Our colors were blue and red. I cried until I wet my pants and had to go home when I got my first penalty in Squirt-D (because I didn't do anything wrong! I slipped and my skate hit the other kid's skate. It was ice. Ice is slippery and 5 year olds have no balance). I remember also being so proud that I used a skill that we did in practice in a game. I couldn't figure out why the coaches weren't happy that, when a puck came at me, I effortlessly lifted one foot to glide on one skate and let the puck go under it just like we did for 10 minutes at the practice.

I remember switching to the Piedmont team (Yellow and Blue) for my last two seasons, but I don't remember why. I liked playing on that team, and I think I even scored some goals (okay, so I know that I had 7 goals in my entire official hockey career (and a shut-out, but it was a squirt-d game where everyone took turns being goalie and there were not even pads)). The thing that I liked the most about hockey was being on a team with my friends and getting to play outside, or run around in the arenas. I also remember family fans, and the little yarn pom-pom decorations that the mom's would wear. My grandpa offered to pay 1$ for a goal and .50c for an assist, but I didn't want him to waste his retirement fund on me, so I made sure he didn't have to pay out too often.

In 5th grade I quit hockey because my best friend did and we took up skiing. I don't remember the exact specifics, but I have a feeling it had to do with the fact that in Minnesota they know where you're going to end-up hockeywise by the time you're 5 or 6. I was never going to amount to anything so it was time to be shunted off into permanent rec-league status, while many of my friends would have gotten to be on the coveted "Traveling Teams" and have important tournaments and rigorous practices, and summer hockey. In essence I'd lose what I loved most about hockey, skating and having fun with my friends. I honestly don't remember the win-loss outcome of any game I played, but I remember playing pretty vividly.

I was kind of anti-hockey for awhile (because skiing was king). I got back into it when I moved in 7th grade, mostly from playing NHLPA 93 on my neighbor's SEGA Genesis (go Jagr, go Penguins). Of course I got NHL 94 for SNES (best sports game of all time). Moving also meant living in the Duluth East High School district. The hockey team there was the best in the state for the 4 years I attended (4 trips to the big show, 1 championship, 2nd place, 3rd place and they won it again the year after I graduated), and as a band member, I went to all of them. The East Pep-Band years are their own story, but it was awesome.

In college I considered playing club hockey, but some of the guys on the team (not most of them - really only one) were jerks to me at the one practice I went to (also I had no real equipment, aside from the stuff I borrowed from my dad, and I wasn't good enough to keep up). Instead I just skated on the Bald Spot in the winter (and made a very good friend from doing that), and tried to play Intramural and pick-up when it happened.

I wish that I had played more Pond Hockey when I was younger, but I try to make up for it when I'm home now

Now, in Maryland, I'm the assistant coach of our JV Ice Hockey team (we don't have a varsity), which makes me laugh a little bit, because I'm not even qualified to coach rec hockey in Minnesota. We've one some JV championships, and had teams with boys (and girls) ranging from literal non-skater to guys that went on to play Junior Hockey in Canada. It's an awesome experience, and I think I enjoy it the most because I get to skate and play at our weekly practice (yes, 1 per week), even if I have to drive the bus. It's never a dull team, to watch or coach, and we have awesome fans.

I still use the shin guards that I stole from my Dad that are likely older than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment